ShoshannaEvers

ShoshannaEvers

SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster - Cade Courtley, Michael Largo My editor at Simon & Schuster, Adam Wilson, edited this book, and he knew I love this kind of thing (anything to do with survival and prepping) so he sent me a copy, not in exchange for a review, but because he thought I'd like it. So full disclosure there.

It took me a long time to read because it's written in sections, which makes it easy to put down and pick up, and read out of order. As a retired RN and former Los Angeles EMT, I decided to read the part on survival medical tips first. I figured if what he wrote there was good based on my knowledge, that I could trust the rest of the book.

Trust, people! This guy knows what he's talking about. I loved all the different scenarios in the book - such as what to do if you're in a car and it goes in the water, or what to do if someone's stalking you.

I feel better prepared for anything after reading this book. The best advice he gave, repeatedly, throughout the book was a phrase he called "violence of action." That means if your life is in danger, whatever you do, do it right. Strike that attacker in the eyes and don't worry if you'll hurt him, because you're saving your own life. Things like that. It's a good mantra, I imagine, to have in your head when you are in a "do or die" scenario. And that's what this book is filled with - thus the title :)

Five stars and highly recommended to anyone, not just men or SEALs etc. Women should read this too. You never know when you're going to need to make a splint out of a branch when you're camping and the hospital is far away...